Since bunk beds have become increasingly popular in the last couple of years, there has also been an increase in the amount of models, designs, materials and colours to choose from. This means that people have a lot more difficulty spotting the most appropriate bunk beds for their children.
Let’s have a look at some useful hints that will help you make the best decision to buy the right bunk beds for you.
- How old your children are: this is a very important aspect because it will help you know if you need a bunk bed or a loft bed. If your children are between five and seven years old, you will have to make sure that the top bed is not too high. If it’s too high your kids might be at risk of potential accidents.
- How big the bed should be: another aspect you need to consider is the size of the bed because if your children are constantly growing, the wrong bed size will surely be uncomfortable in the near future. In these cases, you should go for a futon bunk bed. These beds are perfect because if you need a bigger bed you can simply take the futon out and provide more space for your kids. The only thing to keep in mind is that your kids can sit properly on the futon so as to avoid hitting the upper bed.
- The bedroom: you should have a look at the windows in the bedroom. This is to make sure that the ladder that comes with the bunk bed is not too close to the window. Remember that there are some ladders that can’t be removed so if you fail to pay attention to this aspect you might have problems in the future.
You make a thorough inspection of the bedroom and make notes of the furniture you have in the room or the ones you need to get. If you have many furniture pieces in the room you should go for a loft bed. You can place some small cabinets under the bed so as to make the most of the small space you have.
- Keep in mind the safety aspect: his is the main factor to keep in mind at the moment of getting a bed. On a yearly basis, there are lots of accidents of children who fall off the top bunk bed. Make sure the bed has the right guard rails installed on the sides and also check that the mattress has the right size.
If you go for a wooden bunk bed, you need to make sure that you get rid of rough edges and points so as to avoid accidents. If possible make them smoother or get a better bed. Don’t forget to check if the bunk bed is strong enough to support the kids.
- Style: if you go for a metal bunk bed, you will have to make sure that the style matches the rest of the decoration of the bedroom because it won’t be possible to modify them when you buy them. Remember that it should enhance the existing decoration.